Sep 30, 2013

qpsm*unit - great symbolisms



barabara sounds sez: 
Time to get spiritual with an album that that emerged from the Tribe/Ra stable a few years back (4 to be precise). It barely raised a ripple in the general consciousness over here [UPDATE: or anywhere, going from the comments so far]. Time to rectify that a bit...

As a member of the Tribe crew from back in the day, David Durrah should need little introduction.* Nor of course does the Sun Ra connection. But I have to say I know little or nothing about his cohorts on this well-under-the-radar album which was released by P-Vine here as part of its Black Ark series. 

There are some lovely slinky, funky, modal, meandering, chaotic, chanting, spiritual space jams here, especially the title track — my favoritePlus the reworking of the old track "venus flytrap" which Durrah first recorded with Doug Hammond. But it's all good. 

And too good not to share.

*Katonah posted his classic Sea of Numen over at Private Press here…

And should you wish to go to the source, there's a bit more info on the qpsm site here…


tracks:
great symbolism; angelic streams; silent inferno; that's how I feel, ra; orion nebula; venus fly trap; that's how I feel, ra (retrack)




22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/d3rq2r4ybi873q7/qpsm-gs.zip

Doug S. said...

Wow. I had no knowledge of this. There are only three artists here (Mateen, Cumberbatch & Tonge) that appeared on the previous QPSM Unit record, "The Seriousness of the Matter" from 2001. Can't wait to hear it. Thanks!50 ingsqjo

boogieman said...

Thanks TN, looks good!

corvimax said...

thank you! I didnt know this group existed, very sweet

E-mile said...

Taro Nombei san, 有難味 !
totally new to me and this one goes straight to my heart....
a deep bow from my end.
and this QPSM Unit is bound to go on repeat for many weeks to come [:-)
again, thanks.
peace,
E-mile

taro nombei said...

@ everyone

Thanks guys. You're very welcome!

Got to hand it to P-Vine to pick up releases like this. Not a question of quality, just that they're not getting the publicity they deserve.

taro nombei said...

@ E-mile

どう致しまして。:-)

And peace to you and yours!

g.raf said...

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention Taro Nombei.
Good album.

rev.b said...

New to me as well. I getting to the point that it seems likt it's always the releases that barely make a ripple that tend to be the best ones out there. Thanks for drawing our attention to another one.

winton tostello said...

Thanks a bunch Taro!
I have been searching for this one....

taro nombei said...

@ g.raf
@ rev.b
@ winton tostello

cheers one and all!
Gotta say, I'd love to see these guys (qpsm) live.


Anonymous said...

Please could you re-post "King Kong – All African Jazz Opera"? It would be appreciated - I've been looking for it for ages. Many thanks, whether you can or not.

katonah said...

Many many thanks TN
on the D/low right now.

best

Sergio said...

Many thanks! A real fantastic discovery for me. Excellent music, incredible bariton, super sound!

Maybe you have also The Seriousness Of The Matter? With Matthew Shipp?

I think, that album also masterpiece.

Anonymous said...

now we're talking!!
Thanks a lot TN :)

best,
H

taro nombei said...

@ Sergio
You're more than welcome!

as for The Seriousness Of The Matter, Vesper posted it on his blog years ago (though the link is down I guess by now):
http://pharaohs-dance.blogspot.jp/2007/05/qpsm-unit-seriousness-of-matter-2001.html

Anonymous said...

fabulous post!

Anonymous said...

Thank You very much, grazie!

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot for the great sounds !!!!
Peace
pierreb

SantosCurser said...

You have invoked the name of Ra, thus I am investigating as per the law.

Franco said...

Late to the party....But thanks for this TN !

Bhowani said...

It would be so great to see you're coming back !! Anyway thanks for this one, its link is still working.